Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Blog # 16: "Most Valuable Topic of Second Quarter"

The topic or concept that I found to be most valuable from the second quarter, was that of the United Nations. At the beginning of the unit, I had no idea whatsoever, of the inadequate system in place. I had always viewed the United Nations as what it was supposed to stand for, rather than what it actually did. I believe that there is corruption everywhere in the world, and is a result of greed by the few, at the expense of the many. Our government is certainly no exception to this. And, through this lesson, I learned that the United Nations isn’t either.

The movie we viewed “Broken Promises” really showed the flaws of the UN system. The required assistance to those in need is deflected by the constant debating and useless policies already in place. Because the Rwandan Genocide hadn’t crossed international borders, the UN refused to do anything other than protect the white people located there. They stood by and watched hundreds of thousands of innocent people get slaughtered, when their mission in the world is to prevent things exactly like that. When originally developed, the UN was designed to prohibit events such as a nuclear World War III, provide need to repressed populations, and work towards some level of world peace. Well, all of that is nice on paper, but in reality, corruption is at the heart of every decision made by the UN, and hardly anything comes of it.

The good news is that anything can be changed. With a new President focused on change, and a new generation inheriting a new, but dangerous world, perhaps the United Nations will receive an overhaul, and actually be accountable for the standards it once set for itself. Like I said earlier, the idea is there, all that is needed is the willpower to change.

I take from this unit the fact that in order to survive in the current and upcoming generation, the United Nations must change, or the world will not allow it to continue. This is especially true for America. With ever increasing budget cuts to help aid in this recession, anything that is not effective and vital to our successes, will be cut. And because we provide a good chunk of the UN’s funding, it will not survive without us. Also, I have learned more about international conflicts and the truth behind many of them. This has broadened my knowledge of global events, and will surely serve me in the upcoming years I will spend at college, and for the rest of my life. Personally, anything is possible. They always say “Be the change you want to see in the world.” Maybe if I have a problem with it, I should be the one to challenge it and attempt to change it. Nothing was ever accomplished in history by people merely accepting things the way they are. We, as Americans, have always stood for improving upon, and strengthening programs and events in the world. I guess only time will tell.

No comments: