Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Blog #10: “‘The Apology’ from ‘The Dialogues of Plato’”

“The unexamined life is not worth living.”

I believe this quote best relates to me. When I think about my life and life in general, I believe that it is always best to ask questions. When someone is forced to ask “Why?” they are also forced to discover the answer for themselves. This is much more rewarding than simply being force-fed the answer. This leads to many more questions and many more answers that are truly rewarding.

I also like the approach when someone asks “Why?” to ask “Why Not?” I believe this forces people to look on the other side of the debate, and take in both views. In doing this, people become more well-rounded, and they understand the reasons behind their opinions, other than one or two major reasons. It is this thought process that leads to many new discoveries in our world.

When someone does not ask questions, and merely accepts the decisions of others, nothing good can come from it. The basis of our country rests on this basic principle, and it is an inspiration to people all around the world. Without thinking for yourself, and questioning those in charge, you’re just setting yourself up for disaster.

I believe this is a great motto for the rest of my life. With college and a future career literally, right around the corner, I truly believe that this is the right direction that I need to take. In order to be successful, I need to implement this method of thinking.

No comments: