Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Blog #8: "Most Valuable / Worthwhile / Interesting Topic This Year"

The topic or issue that I have found to be most interesting and valuable to me later in life, is that of law and justice.

To being with, I particularly enjoyed the movie, A Few Good Men. I’m not sure what it was about the movie, but I really liked watching it. In this resource, the concept of law versus justice was presented, and to me at least, was very easy to see. Throughout life, to this point, I had never realized the difference between the law and justice, but through a combination of my own experiences and this unit, especially this movie, I now have a better understanding of this debate.

Recently I was involved in a minor car accident. I was stopped at a red light and was rear-ended. The person who hit me had apparently looked away and didn’t react in time to safely stop in time. However, because the damage was only to my bumper and looks as though it is under $1,000, chances are, nothing will be done about it. What I mean, is that, even though she hit me and she has insurance, if I want it fixed, I’m on my own. Either I or my insurance would have to pay for it, thus making my rates skyrocket. Is this fair? Absolutely not, she rear-ended me at a RED LIGHT! I was not at fault what-so-ever. However, the law in the state of Wisconsin stands that if the damage is under $1,000, no official report has to be filed. Because of this, I would have to pay for her mistake, even though I am the victim. The law says one thing, but in my mind, justice is a complete opposite. This is because the law must provide for everyone, as if they are all the same, robot-like person. Under the law, we are all the same, but justice is not the same way. Because justice is based on morals, and everyone has a different set of them, there is no cookie-cutter for what justice can bring. Sure it’s unfair, but I understand the way our government has to work to provide for the country as a whole.

I take from this unit many things. First, my belief that the world is not fair was strengthened. But I must move on, and “get used to it.” Secondly, and by far more importantly, is the fact that the government does all it can to satisfy the needs of its people. Laws are in place to protect and provide for the citizens, and even though one incident feels unfair, the overall picture of what happens and what is in place for us is a pretty good deal. As I advance in my life, I can only learn more. This foundation is a good base for all that is what we consider government and politics. Being that the newest presidential election is today (November 4, 2008), provides a good example of this point. The more a person knows about how their government works, the more apt they are to make informed decisions on important matters, like an election. Even though I am too young to vote today, I will use this knowledge in four years when I can vote for the next presidential election.

No comments: